45. After his journey, Gerald hoped to find an inn to _____ the night in.
A. sleep B. pass C. spare D. remain
43. He offered to _____ her a hand as the bag was too heavy for her to carry.
A. lend B. help C. show D. say
42. Children enjoy _____ up wooden bricks, then knocking them down.
A. adding B. pushing C. piling D. putting
41. I’m sorry I’m late. I never _____ the bus to take so long to get here.
A. thought B. planned C. expected D. waited for
38. The old man sat in the armchair, _____ a match and lighted a cigarette.
A. hit B. knocked C. beat D. struck
37. --- How about John?
--- My aunt _____ John a good student.
A. believe B. suggests C. considers D. knows
36. Very few scientists _____ with completely new answers to the world’s problems.
A. come to B. come round C. come up D. come on