248. I don’t like this pair of gloves. Will you show me _____.
A. another B. the others C. some others D. other ones
247. Some trees are cut down each year and _____ are left to grow even taller.
A. the rest B. a rest C. rest of them D. a rest of them
246. John failed the exam chiefly because of his laziness, but it was different _____ of Ann, she was ill.
A. in case B. in the event C. in the case D. because
245. I went to bed very late that night, _____, early the next morning.
A. at least B. in a word C. or rather D. at most
244. On New Year’s Eve, New York City holds an outdoor _____ which attracts a crowd of a million or more people.
A. incident B. event C. case D. affair
243. She is always ready to help people in trouble because she think it a _____.
A. decision B. chance C. pride D. pleasure
242. These two areas are similar _____ they both have a high rainfall during this season.
A. to that B. beside that C. in that D. except that
241. This crop does not do well in soils _____ the one for which it has been specially developed.
A. outside B. other than C. beyond D. rather than
240. You should have been more patient _____ that customer; I’m sure that selling him the watch was a possibility.
A. of B. with C. for D. at
239. I listened to Dr. Wilson’s lecture about the protection of wild animals, but I was unable to grasp its key _____.
A. words B. notes C. dots D. points